The Independence Library Learning Commons is thrilled to offer Amazon Kindle e-reading
devices for student use! We currently have 9 Kindles and an eBook
library of Mark Twain Nominee titles that are available for 4th & 5th Graders to checkout and use both at home and at school.
Kindles are fantastic, portable e-readers that weigh less than a
paperback, but can hold around 3,500 books!
Some other wonderful features are:
- E-Ink that can be read in bright sunlight and does not tire your eyes
- Instantly adjust the font size to make reading easier
- An onboard dictionary to instantly look up unfamiliar words
- Highlight and make annotations or notes for sections of text
- Text-to-speech feature can read sections of text out loud to help with pronounciations (not available for all titles)
- For more information, check out Amazon’s Kindle Features Page
Frequently Asked Questions
This sounds fabulous! How do I take advantage of this?
The first step is to download and return the Kindle Permission Slip
to the library. Because of the expense and responsibility needed to
borrow a Kindle, parent permission is required before students may check
Once you have a permission slip on file,
you are free to borrow a Kindle if there is one available. If not, we’ll
put your name on a waiting list.
How long can I keep it?
Kindles will have a loan period of two
weeks. If you’d like to keep it longer, you can bring it to the library
and renew it (unless someone is on the waiting list, of
What eBooks are available?
We have a library of eBooks that are
pre-loaded onto our Kindles. All of our titles are past or present Mark Twain Nominees.
What comes with the Kindle?
Each Kindle will come with a protective
cover. Please keep it in the cover while you
have it! Kindles will NOT be checked out with a battery charger. They
will be fully charged when checked out to you. The battery life is
around 30 days – way more than the loan period.
Can I download books to it myself?
I have an idea on how to improve the library’s Kindle Borrowing Program.
Thanks for your feedback! Please leave your suggestions on the Kindle Post Reading Survey.